BACK FROM THE BRINK
Should First Churches take a stand against the looming possibility of God’s green earth being destroyed by a nuclear Armageddon? On Sunday, Sept.23, our congregation will have a chance to vote on this agenda item: “A Resolution Calling for the United States to ‘Pull Back from the Brink’ and Prevent Nuclear War.” The essence of the resolution is as follows:
NOW THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that First Churches in Northampton, Massachusetts, calls upon our federal and state leaders to embrace the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons, and make nuclear disarmament the centerpiece of our national policy. BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that First Churches calls upon our federal leaders and our nation to spearhead a global effort to prevent nuclear war by:
- Renouncing the option of using nuclear weapons first;
- Ending the president’s sole unchecked authority to launch a nuclear attack;
- Taking US nuclear weapons off hair-trigger alert;
- Cancelling plans to replace its entire arsenal with enhanced weapons;
- Actively pursuing a verifiable agreement among nuclear-armed states to eliminate their nuclear arsenals.
Other churches who have endorsed this resolution include the Friends, the Unitarians, the Methodists, and most recently, the West Cummington and Haydenville Congregationalists. Read the whole resolution before deciding how to vote in September. In September, there will be Second Hour opportunities to discuss the issue. Comments/questions can be directed to Sue Norton, Harriet Wilson, Sharon Moulton, or Peter Kakos.