Director of Christian Education
First Churches of Northampton
Application Deadline June 1,2014
The First Churches of Northampton, an open and affirming combined congregation of the United Church of Christ and American Baptist Church, seeks an energetic Director of Christian Education to lead our Christian education programs. Christian Education plays a key role in the mission of First Churches. It is a goal of First Churches to provide and promote a wide range of Christian Education opportunities for the Church community. The Director will report directly to the pastor but work in coordination with the Board of Christian Education. We are looking for someone to bring new energy and ideas to our programs, including:
- Fun, safe child care during services for infants-5 years
- Creative, dynamic, age-appropriate Sunday school activities for grades pre-K-6
- Meaningful youth programs, including fellowship, worship, and service opportunities, for grades 6-12
- Confirmation classes for grades 6-8
- Adult study groups and programs
- Special events and ministries
- A commitment to Christ and a calling to Christian education
- Bachelor’s degree and education experience required. Experience in Christian education leadership roles and/or seminary training preferred.
- Ecumenical and inclusive outlook, supportive of both UCC and American Baptist traditions in an open and affirming congregation.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including active listening
- Requires passing a CORI background check
- Working with appropriate church leaders to set goals, determine priorities, establish programs, and coordinate calendar.
- Overseeing that all areas of Children and Youth Ministry are implemented, including: curriculum, programs, and music.
- Providing leadership to the educational ministry of the church, including identifying gifts of leaders and promoting their involvement in Sunday School and Youth activities.
- Work cooperatively with the pastor on Children’s Messages and confirmation class instruction
- Develop Sunday school and confirmation curriculum in conjunction with the Board of Christian Education
- Empower parents to be involved with the faith development of their children.
- Order supplies
- Recruit teachers and assistants for Sunday school
- Follow Safe Sanctuary policies
- Participate in regularly scheduled Church Staff meetings and Board of Christian Education Meetings
- Keeping current of the latest trends, methods, and materials as related to religious education
- Develop and provide leadership for adult education programs
- Write and submit regular reports as needed
- Other duties and activities as required, including special programs
Position details: Part-time, salaried. 15 hours per week mid-August through mid-June (44 weeks) includes Sunday mornings 9:00 AM-12 noon from early September-mid June, plus regularly scheduled church staff meetings and monthly meetings of the Board of Christian Education. Compensation commensurate with background and experience.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org Attn: Ann Rasmussen, Chair of Christian Education.