Week of November 2
Read Chapter on Sky, pages 97-126 in “Grounded” by Diana Butler Bass
We are beginning Week 3 of our House Church groups on Monday, November 2. Use the questions below to stimulate your thoughts and discussions. If you missed a group meeting, remember you can always catch up on Sundays at 11:30 in Pastor Todd’s Study. Copies of the book are still available for $20 from the church office.
- Are you a “star gazer” who stays up to see celestial events like eclipses or meteor showers? Describe an event that impacted you and why it was meaningful.
- Jesuit scientist, Pierre Teilhard de Chardin suggested that the cosmos is unfolding in a spiritually purposeful way, toward a human awakening. (p. 107) Discuss the merits of this idea. In what ways might it be true, or what situations seem to negate this?
- Discuss any spiritual practices you have tried that have focused on breath? Why do you think spiritual practices focus on breathing? (p.109-111)
- Do you relate more to the “vertical” or “horizontal” aspects of faith? (p. 118)
- Hildegard of Bingen said “If we fall in love with creation deeper and deeper, we will respond to its endangerment with passion.” Discuss the importance of this quote.